Clinical Supervision Course
Time & Location
About the event
This course examines consultation and supervision theories and practices as employed by counselors working and supervising in mental health facilities, educational institutions, and other counseling settings. The various forms of consultation and supervision will be explored, examining the framework for consultation/supervision with other professionals, educators, families and administrators. The course is designed to meet the criteria established by the SC LLR as part of the requirements to obtain a supervisor’s license and the syllabus and content has been presented to the LLR Board and specifically approved to be offered by the SCCMHCA.
By the completion of this course, students will demonstrate knowledge and skills in the following areas:
This course examines consultation and supervision theories and practice as employed by counselors
1. Introduction to Supervision
2. Roles and Responsibilities of Supervisors
3. The Supervisory Relationship
4. Methods of Supervision
5. Models of Supervision
6. Becoming a Multiculturally Competent Supervisor
7. Ethics &Multiple Relationships in Supervision
8. Legal Issues in Supervision
9. Managing Crisis Situations
10. Evaluation in Supervision
11. Becoming an Effective Supervisor
Additional learning objectives include:
1. General principles and practices of etiology, diagnosis, treatment, referral, and prevention of mental and emotional disorders, family systems theories, and other relevant theories and their application in working with communities, families, individuals, and other systems (e.g., legal, legislative).
2. Knowledge of the principles of diagnosis and the use of current diagnostic tools, including the current Diagnostic and Statistics Manual
3. Knowledge of South Carolina statutes and regulations for the practice of professional counseling and/or marriage and family therapy and the supervision of professional counseling and/or marriage and family therapy.
Facilitators: This course will be taught by Board members of SCCMHCA who are also LPC Supervisors and have a wide level of experience.